Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Schooling

So today in French I really felt like blogging about the class but couldn't so I'm doing it now. I love French(the language, not the class) and I love the culture. Someday I would love to be bilingual in a language. As much as I love the language I have this hate for the class. Today, I couldn't help but notice how many times I stared at the clock wondering when I was getting out. This class is the epitome of traditional schooling. A group of kids forced to sit in a room and be told to learn, while everything in our bodies is telling us to count the minutes left. I'm not purposefully bragging about myself, but I am one of the smartest students in there. Not because I get an "A", but because I pay attention. The students in this class literally refuse to learn. Even if you just sat in the class you could soak up a little French. But no, it's as if the students are brick walls instead of sponges. How much learning can be accomplished by talking to a brick wall? It's not entirely the student's fault though. Teaching French from a 1980's textbook is about as exciting as watching grass grow. Why I decided to blog about this is because I think how sad it is that we are expected to be bricks, so therefore we become bricks. And our refusal to learn is going to make us ignorant and deviate from our dreams so that we're brick walls in a cubicle counting the minutes 'til we get to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment