Tuesday, September 30, 2014

CHARACTER STUDY (III)

It had been my first day as a college student, and after a long day of being welcomed
 Into the crowd, I couldn't help but ponder life and where I was at right now. I know I want to be a doctor, it's what I've wanted to be since I was little. But something inside me has always been attracted to fighting for injustices. Starting here at UCSD, I know I'm on the right path.
The next morning I awoke to a news broadcast about race riots that had been happening all across the nation. "It's weird to think that this stuff still goes on." I told Alison, my new roommate. "Yeah,someone should do something about it." She said. "Yeah someone should" I thought. As I went to class, I couldn't help but think about the scenes on TV. They were violent, almost remnants of the 60's when racial injustice was peaked. "How can people still think that way? It's such a backwards way of thinking" I thought before class started.
Later that day, I received a text from Erica. It was out of the blue. She was doing well at UCLA and we got on the topic of the national race riots. I told her we should do something about it, and we talked for hours on what we should do. After that talk, I decided we should actually do something. But what could two girls possibly accomplish? how can we change what people believe? And not only that, but what about my medical career? Should I leave it all behind in a wave of regret or should I do something more important. It took me weeks to decide what to choose. The volition of what to do haunted me night and day until finally I saw another broadcast about the murder of a little, innocent child who got caught in a protest turned violent.

No comments:

Post a Comment